Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition is a system that operates with coded signals over various communication channels in order to provide control of remote equipment. The supervisory system can be combined with a data acquisition system by adding the use of coded signals over communication channels to acquire information about the status of remote equipment for display or for recording function purposes. It is a type of industrial control system (computer-controlled systems that monitor and control industrial processes that exist in the physical world). SCADA systems differ from other ICS systems by being large-scale processes that can include multiple sites, and large distances.
SCADA versions include:
• WinCC – written by Siemens for the Microsoft Windows operating system. It uses Microsoft SQL Server for logging and comes with a VBScript and ANSI C application programming interface.
• iFIX – a robust SCADA engine with a rich set of connectivity options, open architecture, and highly scalable and distributed networking model.
• Wonderware Intouch, Archestra – offers legendary ease of use, market leading innovation, unequalled investment protection, brilliant graphics, unsurpassed connectivity, the industry’s best support and the broadest partner ecosystem.
• RSview, Control View – A Human-Machine Interface (HMI) system for monitoring and controlling your automation machines and processes.
• GEFICS – A SCADA system allowing the monitoring and controlling of various operating machines and systems.